Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Offset Block #2

What Can You Do






With Nine Patch Blocks










If You Offset Them?


For one thing you can make a circle.

If the Nine Patch units are 3" x 3", finished size, then this is an 11" x 11" block.

If the Nine Patch units are 9" x 9", finished size, then this is a 33" x 33" table topper.





It's time to make some changes and go exploring. I'll start by getting rid of the black and adding some color.

What if I color each Nine Patch a different color but in sequence from magenta to dusty blue?

Now what?



What if I combine 9 circles reflected so that like colors are touching?

I get some interesting negative shapes and the circles disappear.











What if I change the background to black?

The colors are richer.















I've only just started, there is a lot more I could do, but I'm going to stop here because the title of this blog is "What can you do?" I want to see what you can do. What would you try next? What would you change? Do you have a better idea for using offset Nine Patch  blocks than making circles?

You can leave a comment in the box below or you can email me at tuxedoparkdesign@shaw.ca.

To see more offset Nine Patch block designs go to my 3 January 2011 post - Start With Something Simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment