Saturday, December 25, 2010

Quilting

Sawtooth Star


This quilt top is one of the ones that I designed by modifying a Sawtooth Star. You can find it in my 31 October 2010 post.

My wife liked it enough to sew it. Now I have to design quilting for it.
I colored it to give the impression of 4 large flowers. In keeping with that idea, what if I quilt the green areas with leaves?
What if I stitch a series of petals on the flowers?
What if I fill the center of each of the flowers with a circle composed of smaller circles?

I think that this quilting adds some life and interest to this design.









Quilting is too often used as only a secondary design element, as part of the background.  I would like to see it used more often as part of the primary design, as part of the main image. To see some of my attempts to do this go to My Posts by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on Quilting.

No comments:

Post a Comment