Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Sashing

Wonky Shoo Fly Quilt





I used this wonky Shoo Fly block to create this pattern.

I find it interesting, but I wonder what it would look like with sashing between the blocks.






What if I add plain 2" wide sashing?









What if I rejoin the Shoo Fly blocks with small blocks of color part way down the sashing strips?



What if I replace the small blocks of color with "bow tie" blocks?


What if I add Cornerstones between The Shoo Fly blocks?


What if I start again and use color in the sashing to break up the large areas of white where the Shoo Fly blocks meet?


What if I replace the small blocks of sashing color with "bow ties"?


What if I replace the larges blocks of sashing color with triangles?


What if I add cornerstones between the Shoo Fly blocks?



In all these designs the sashing combines with the original block to form new blocks, which then take center stage.  Meanwhile the Shoo fly blocks disappear and, in effect, become the sashing for the new blocks.


For more sashing ideas go to My Posts by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on Sashing.

2 comments:

  1. Wayne,

    Great exercise .... with intriguing results. You have to spend a lot of time working out what is sashing and what is blocks!

    With all this inspiration around I almost dry when I see another Disappearing Nine Patch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy

    I found that the easy way to find the Shoo Fly block is to look for the large dark square that is at its center.

    The Shoo Fly block are dark. The blocks created by the sashing are white.

    The negative (white) shapes have managed to steal the design from the positive (dark) shapes.

    ReplyDelete