Thursday, May 6, 2010

Tessellation

Using these 2 blocks that are the reverse of each other, I am going to see if I can create a tessellation.


What if I create a pinwheel using 2 of each block?

This pinwheel tessellates (the green and white shapes are identical), so anything I make with it should tessellate.
What if I repeat the pinwheel?

This would make a good scrappy quilt. Simply replace the green with various dark fabrics and the white with light fabrics.
What if I rotate the pinwheel?

I get what, for the purposes of this post, I'm calling a starfish. It's either call it a starfish or call it a spinny thingy and I prefer the maritime designation.
What if I reflect the pinwheel, both vertically and horizontally?

I get  a crab-like shape.
What if I repeat the reflected pattern?

I get crabs walking in two directions.

What if I rotate the reflected pattern?
















This is no longer a tessellation because it contains three different shapes. There is a white starfish in the center, surrounded by green lobsters, with white crabs in the corners.

I like this. After all, not everything has to tessellate.



For more tessellated designs go to My Posts by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on Tessellation.

1 comment: