Thursday, April 29, 2010

Quilting

Nine Patch Quilt

Strictly speaking this isn't a Nine Patch quilt. The original design was based on a Nine Patch block, but I found the piecing was simpler if I ignored the Nine Patch block. (See 10 March 2010)

In any case I need to design some quilting.
What if I start with concentric diamonds?

There is a red-violet diamond in the center of the quilt.  I thought repeating that shape in the quilting would add another layer of interest. It doesn't. This idea is a bust.
What if I revert to the Nine patch blocks temporarily and try a series of arcs in the red-violet squares.
I like this. However,I think the black thread provides too much contrast; I'd like to see something subtler.
What if I use a dark red-violet thread and connect the ends of the arcs as well?
I like this thread color better. Either stitching pattern will work.

I can stipple the large white areas with white thread to create contrast and depth.  And I can repeat the arcs in the borders.









To see how this quilt developed go to My Posts by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on Nine Patch.

No comments:

Post a Comment