Thursday, April 1, 2010

Playing with Quilting

Ohio Star Quilt

On 14 March 2010 I posted this as an intermediate step in exploring a quilt design idea.

Today I want to use it as the starting point for another exploration.

What if I quilt large stars in the empty spaces?

The stars need to be bold, so I would satin stitch them.  Even then the 4 large corner blocks overpower them.

What if I remove the dark purple connectors from between the pieced stars?

What if I add quilting around 4 of the Pieced stars?

This is better; but the pieced stars are fighting with the quilted ones for attention.

What if I make the pieced stars a lighter purple?

The large stars now dominate the image. I would, however, like to see a greater color contrast between the large stars and the small ones.

What if I piece the background stars using light blue fabrics?

I think this is more interesting.  There is still a lot of white background that needs to be quilted.

What if I do some echo quilting using a light blue thread and a regular straight stitch?

All this needs now is a border.












For more Ohio Star ideas go to My Posts by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on Ohio Star

No comments:

Post a Comment