Monday, March 29, 2010

Playing with Letters










From My Pieced Alphabet:

Mount Royal

Before the printing press existed all writing was calligraphy.  And much of it was very decorative.  Mount Royal is my attempt to piece an alphabet that resembles Old English.


What if I use a 45 degree slant on the end of letter strokes to mimic calligraphy?
I tried several version of a lower case x.

I finally decided on this one.

The cross bar through the center does a lot to give this letter an olde appearance.
What if I try piecing the x like this?

This works but there are a lot of pieces. Can I do better?
What if I divide the x into horizontal bands?

This has fewer pieces.  I don't see how I can do better than this.




For more lettering ideas go to My Posts by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on Lettering.

No comments:

Post a Comment