Saturday, February 27, 2010

Playing with Quilting

Ohio Star

I want to explore some quilting possibilities for this Ohio Star block.
What if I create a second block by stitching the outline pattern of an Ohio Star block?  I'll use heavy dark purple thread. I could straight stitch this; or, if I want more emphasis, I could use something wider such as a satin stitch.
What if I alternate pieced and stitched Ohio Star blocks?

This is not very interesting yet, but it has potential.
What if I stitch the Ohio Star differently?

This time I'll try echo quilting to create my stitched star.

This is better but still very mundane.
What if I also echo quilt around the pieced Ohio Star blocks?

It has come alive.  There is nice variety, depth and movement this time.


I can stipple the background to make the stars stand out.

What if, instead of piecing the border, I sew several rows of stitching next to the binding.

This works nicely.






For more quilting ideas go to My Blogs by Subject in the sidebar on the right and click on  Quilting.

2 comments:

  1. Wayne,

    What a beauty ....... the illusion of different sized stars is wonderful.
    And this is a trick which could work with all sorts of blocks. Clever!

    Judy B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy

    I'm pleased you like this.

    It seems to me that the quilting aspect of quilting is not featured often enough. This is an attempt to put quilting on a par with piecing; to let them both share the spotlight.

    ReplyDelete