Monday, December 28, 2009

Playing with Backs

School House Alphabet Quilt  (See also: 19 December 2009)

This is the back of my School House Alphabet quilt.
























The front of the quilt consists of 9 School House blocks that contain the 26 letters of the alphabet and the numbers from 0 to 9.

How did I arrive at this design for the back?

When I made this quilt I wondered: What if I make the label using a School House Block? It would have to be larger to make room for my initials and the date.

For my initials and the date I could use the same pieced alphabet that I use on the front.

The green backgound fabric worked fine as spacing between letters in a word, but in the larger spaces between words it made the school house look like it had parts missing. so I added the white squares.

I decided that the bobbin thread would have to be white so that the quilting would blend with the white label.

An added benefit of using white thread on the dark green background was a series of ghost school houses on the back created by the stippling.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Wayne - this is one that I really like - I saw it at the Heritage Park show - you told me a bit about it on my blog! I'm happy you have a blog now, too. I'd be interested to know what you did before you were a quilter! Your designs are very geometrical so I'm wondering if you are an engineer, architect or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary

    I spent the last half of my working life managing an art supply store. I spent the first half as a draftsman. Before that I went to art school. Currently I'm retired, quilting and happy.

    I'm glad you like my School House Alphabet quilt. I'm planning to publish it as a pattern but I need to finish a couple of other major projects before I can get to it.

    ReplyDelete